Student Merit Scholarships - Deadline Extended to May 3rd
The Alabama Chapter of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (Alabama HIMSS) is pleased to announce scholarships for students of healthcare informatics and technology and members of the HIMSS Alabama Chapter. Established and funded by the HIMSS Alabama Chapter, these scholarships are awarded to HIMSS members who exhibit academic excellence, actively engage in supporting the Alabama Chapter activities and demonstrate leadership potential in the healthcare information and management systems industry. All Alabama students who are AL HIMSS student members are encouraged to apply for the scholarship.
A maximum of 4 awards in the amount of up to $1,250 each.
Eligibility and Requirement
Applicants for the Alabama Chapter Student Merit Scholarship must fulfill the minimum requirements below:
- The applicant must be an established member in good standing with National HIMSS or Alabama HIMSS
- Applicant must complete and submit the Alabama Chapter of HIMSS Student Merit Scholarship Application
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate participation or pledge to participate in Alabama HIMSS committees, workgroups and conferences within the year of 2021
- Applicant must currently (as of Spring 2021) be a full-time or part-time student in an accredited Associates, Bachelors, Masters or PhD program in the state of Alabama related to the healthcare information management systems field. Students who are graduating Spring 2021 are eligible as long as they were enrolled in an accredited program during the Spring 2021 semester.
- The specific degree program is not a critical factor, although it is expected that programs similar to those in industrial engineering, operations research, healthcare informatics, computer science and information systems, mathematics, and quantitative programs in business administration and healthcare administration will predominate
- Previous Alabama HIMSS Scholarship winners are ineligible
- Applicant is not required to be an Alabama resident
- Applicants may begin submitting applications on April 06, 2021
- The deadline for entry is extended to May 3, 2021
- Winners will be announced and notified late May 2021
Click here to download the application
2020 Student Liaison: Heather D. Martin
Heather D. Martin is an Alabama native, Graduate Research Assistant and PhD student in Health Services Administration – Health Informatics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Heather received her MSBA in finance at Auburn University and has over 10 years of experience working in financial system design, testing, implementation, support, training and financial reporting. She is also a member of the HIMSS20 Student Case Competition First Place Winning Team.
Heather is interested in developing or enhancing technologies to help practitioners and patients and becoming a health services administration and health IT teacher/trainer. Heather’s dissertation focus is findings ways health IT can help people in Alabama who suffer from substance abuse disorder while also promoting appropriate pain management.
“Hi. If you are an AL health IT student, I care about your success! AL and National HIMSS offer networking opportunities and scholarships tailored just for health IT students and early careerists. Please reach out to me if you would like to learn more or need assistance.”
Alabama HIMSS welcomes and encourages student involvement in our chapter. Please contact us for volunteer opportunities.
The Alabama Chapter of HIMSS also awards annual scholarships to Health Informatics students who are active participants in our chapter - subscribe to our email list to stay up-to-date on chapter news, events, and offerings, including scholarship announcements!
HIMSS Student Memberships
Organizational Affiliate membership
Some schools are Organizational Affiliate members of HIMSS and provide their students with a free HIMSS student membership - to see if your school participates, click here. As of December 2019, UAB is an OA. If your school does offer complimentary OA membership to HIMSS, click here for detailed sign-up instructions. Note: These instructions are specific to OA membership, not the individual student membership below.
Individual Student membership View eligibility requirements and join here
2020 Alabama Chapter of HIMSS Scholarship Winners
Eddie Groom & Bayan Karassi, 2020 Merit Based Scholarship Recipients
Each year, the Alabama Chapter of HIMSS (AL HIMSS) awards $1250 merit based scholarships to students with a health IT degree focus. These scholarships are awarded to AL HIMSS student members who exhibit excellence, actively engage in supporting AL HIMSS activities and demonstrate leadership potential in the healthcare information and management systems industry. The winners of the 2020 AL HIMSS Merit Based Scholarships are Eddie Groom and Bayan Karassi. Eddie is an electrical engineer with aspirations to be a Chief Information Officer and is pursuing a M.S in Health Informatics/Health Services Administration, a dual degree, at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). Eddie was also a team member of the First Place Winning National HIMSS Student Case Competition Team. Bayan is a medical office manager and grew up working in her father’s endocrinology clinic. She graduated Magna Cum Laude with a B.S. in Healthcare Management and is pursuing a M.S. in Health Informatics, both at UAB. We are proud to support the next generation of health IT professionals in our state.